Alaska Accounting Schools
This comprehensive guide is designed to provide important information on accounting programs in the state of Alaska. There are several public and private colleges and universities that offer undergraduate degrees in accounting, and while currently no schools in the state offer graduate in accounting degrees, some schools offer MBAs. This guide will provide the information necessary to find the program that fits your education and career goals. As an alternative to traditional on-campus programs, some students may seek out online accounting courses, which can offer greater flexibility for other commitments.
- 4 public colleges and universities offer an accounting degree program in Alaska.1
- 1 private not-for-profit colleges and universities offer an accounting degree program in Alaska.1
- 4 schools offer a certificate in accounting.*1
- 4 schools offer an associate’s degree in accounting.*1
- 3 schools offer a bachelor’s degree in accounting.*1
- No schools offer a graduate degree in accounting.*1
- No programs ranked in US News Best Undergrad Accounting Programs 2018.2
- No programs ranked in US News Best Graduate Accounting Programs 2018.3
- No schools ranked in the Princeton Review Great Schools for Accounting Majors 2018.4
- No schools ranked in Bloomberg Businessweek Best Undergraduate Business Schools 2016.5
*Public or private not-for-profit colleges and universities only.
AACSB-Accredited Accounting Programs in Alaska
The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International) is a globally-recognized organization that provides accreditation for undergraduate and graduate accounting programs. While over 800 business schools have been accredited by the AACSB, only 186 institutions hold AACSB accreditation for their accounting programs, having been found to meet the rigorous standards established by the AACSB.6 The following accounting programs in Alaska have been accredited by the AACSB:
- University of Alaska Fairbanks (School of Management)
Highest First-Time CPA Exam Pass Rate with a Bachelor’s Degree
Each year, the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) releases a report including data on candidate performance on the Uniform CPA Exam.7 The following schools had the highest first-time CPA exam pass rates in Alaska in 2015 for candidates with a bachelor’s degree, with the overall average pass rate for Alaska being 46.0%%:
- University of Alaska Anchorage 54.4%
- University of Alaska Fairbanks 42.9%
- University of Alaska Southeast 41.2%
Schools in Alaska with Accounting Degrees
Undergraduate Accounting Programs
Alaska Pacific University
Alaska Pacific University offers a Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Accounting that is designed to prepare students for a career in business, finance, economics, or accounting. Students in this program will be prepared for professional designations, such as Certified Public Accountant, Certified Management Accountant, and Certified Internal Auditor. This program emphasizes experiential learning to develop critical analysis skills, as well as inductive and deductive reasoning. Students learn how to make complex business decisions and effectively communicate those views. A non-profit management emphasis is also available to students who wish to pursue budgeting, organizational management, and fundraising for non-profit organizations.
University of Alaska Fairbanks
The University of Alaska Fairbanks offers a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) in Accounting. This 120-credit program develops analytical thinking skills to prepare students for a variety of business-related careers, as well as certifications including certified management accountant, certified financial manager, certified internal auditor, certified fraud examiner, and certified public accountant. Students learn how to apply accounting concepts to local, state, and global business, while also becoming proficient in analyzing financial data. Effective written and oral communication skills are emphasized so graduates can properly advise businesses on important financial decisions. Students learn to investigate and quickly detect fraud to safeguard businesses against suspicious activity. Required coursework includes Governmental and Nonprofit Accounting, Internal and Government Auditing, and Advanced Cost Accounting and Controllership.
Graduate Accounting Programs
University of Alaska Anchorage
The University of Alaska Anchorage offers a Master of Business Administration (MBA) that prepares students for leadership roles. This business degree emphasizes hands-on learning and collaboration to build skills that graduates will utilize in a complex business world. By focusing on management skills, students learn how to quickly analyze and adapt to changing situations while managing a team. Most classes are held on evenings or Saturdays to accommodate working professionals. Students may choose an emphasis area of Business Intelligence and Business Analytics, Leadership, Public Sector and Non-Profit Management, Health Administration, and Global Supply Chain Management. Students are also able to cater electives towards their own interests if they want to focus on a specific area of business.
Alaska Pacific University
Alaska Pacific University offers a Master of Business Administration (MBA) that focuses on business concepts to prepare students for a variety of leadership roles in industry. In this program, students learn about organizational management and global implications on business to best prepare them to manage teams and lead new businesses. Students develop strategic thinking skills while learning how to access qualitative and quantitative data to make confident business decisions. Concentrations in Finance and Health Administration are available for those who which to pursue these specialties. The Finance concentration emphasizes portfolio and investment theory, as well as raising capital and valuations. The Health Administration concentration focuses on policy, finance, and ethics in contemporary settings.
Online Accounting Programs
University of Alaska Fairbanks
Students at the University of Alaska Fairbanks have the opportunity to earn a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) in Accounting. This AACSB accredited program offers many courses online, providing a flexible alternative to a traditional classroom experience. Students in this program get a solid understanding of general accounting concepts, while also exploring auditing, managerial accounting, taxation, and governmental accounting. Multiple professional development courses are also required to ensure that graduates are properly prepared to enter a competitive workforce. Graduates of this program will be prepared to sit for the Uniform CPA exam.
Alaska CPA Requirements
To become a Certified Public Accountant in Alaska, applicants are required to complete a baccalaureate degree with a concentration in in Accounting. 150 semester hours are required, 24 of which must be accounting credits. Courses in business law, economics, and math are also required. Applicants must also complete two years of work experience under a licensed CPA.
Career Opportunities for Accounting Graduates in Alaska
Accounting graduates can seek employment with one of the major accounting firms in Alaska, which include Alaska Accounting Solutions, KPMG, and Deloitte. Accounting graduates will be well equipped to advise a wide variety of businesses on financial matters. Tourism and Seafood are the largest industries in the state of Alaska, with major employers including Alaska Airlines and Trident Seafoods. Recent graduates may also choose to work for local or state governments or go into private practice.
Alaska Accounting Salary and Jobs by Metro Area
|Metro Area||Accountants & Auditors Employed||Average Annual Salary|
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics as of May 2017.8
Schools with Accounting Degree Programs in Alaska
The University of Alaska
Alaska Pacific University
4101 University Dr
Anchorage, AK 99508
University of Alaska
505 S Chandalar
Fairbanks, AK 99775
1. National Center for Education Statistics: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. US News & World Report Best Undergraduate Accounting Programs: https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/business-accounting
3. US News & World Report Best Accounting Programs: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/accounting-rankings
4. The Princeton Review. The Best 382 Colleges 2018 Edition. Penguin Random House, 2017.
5. Bloomberg Businessweek Best Undergraduate Business Schools 2016: https://www.bloomberg.com/businessweek/graphics/2013-bs-undergrad-rankings/rankings2.html
6. AACSB-Accredited Universities and Schools, Accounting: https://www.aacsb.edu/accreditation/accredited-members
7. The NASBA Candidate Performance Report, 2015 University Edition: https://nasbareport.com/
8. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment Statistics, May 2017 State Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates, Alaska: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_ak.htm