Colorado Accounting Schools
The colleges and universities of Colorado offer a variety of options for students interested in earning a degree or certificate in accounting. This outline of accounting schools in Colorado will supply you with information on your opportunities for accounting study in the state. As an alternative to traditional on-campus accounting programs, you may also wish to consider online accounting programs, which often offer the same concentration areas in a more adaptable academic setting.
Quick School Facts
- 19 public colleges and universities offer an accounting degree program in Colorado.
- 22 private colleges and universities offer an accounting degree in Colorado.
- 13 schools offer a certificate in accounting.
- 21 schools offer an associate’s degree in accounting.
- 22 schools offer a bachelor’s degree in accounting.
- 2 schools ranked in Businessweek’s Top Undergraduate Business Programs in 2013: University of Denver (68), Colorado State University (89)
- 1 school ranked in US News Best Business Schools in 2013 (graduate schools): University of Colorado (79)
Read on to find out more about accounting schools in Colorado and your options for earning a degree or certificate in the state.
AACSB Accredited Accounting Programs in Colorado
The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business is a globally recognized organization that provides accreditation for undergraduate and graduate accounting programs. Only 180 accounting programs are currently accredited and have been found to meet the rigorous standards established by the AACSB. The following accounting programs in Colorado have been accredited by the AACSB:
- University of Colorado Denver (Business School)
- University of Denver (Daniels College of Business)
- University of Northern Colorado (Kenneth W. Monfort College of Business)
Highest First-Time CPA Exam Pass Rate with a Bachelor’s Degree
The following schools had the highest first-time CPA exam pass rates in Colorado in 2013 for candidates with a bachelor’s degree:
- University of Denver 68.7%
- Colorado State University
- University of Colorado Boulder
- University of Northern Colorado
- University of Colorado Colorado Springs
This list includes the top schools in Colorado with at least 20 candidates. There were 15 schools in Colorado that sent first-time candidates with a bachelor’s degree and the pass rate ranged from 23.1% to 68.7% (including schools with fewer than 20 candidates) according to the 2013 NASBA report. For data on all schools, see the 2013 NASBA Uniform CPA Examination Candidate Performance report provided by the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy.
Colorado Accounting Graduate Degree Programs
Colorado State University
Colorado State University, located in Fort Collins, Colorado, offers a Master of Accountancy degree designed to equip students with the basic knowledge required of all accountants as well as specialized training. Students opt for one of three specialized certificates including financial accounting, taxation accounting, and consulting. The 30 credit-hour program is open to full-time and part-time students. Courses include financial statement analysis, corporate taxation, multi-jurisdictional tax, and auditing.
Metropolitan State University of Denver
Metropolitan State University of Denver offers a rigorous master’s degree program in professional accountancy. Students choose from a variety of concentrations including taxation, fraud, forensic accounting, and general accounting. By choosing concentrations, students are better prepared for the job market. Courses included tax law, fraud, internal auditing, and financial statement analysis. Students also take part in an intensive internship program.
Colorado Accounting Undergraduate Degree Programs
University of Denver
University of Denver’s Daniels School of Accountancy, located in Denver, offers a Bachelor of Science in Accounting. Students of the program gain a solid understanding of accounting principles, taxation, and auditing while learning to use sophisticated accounting software and database applications. The school also offers a dual-degree program, which allows students to obtain an undergraduate degree and a graduate degree in accounting in just five years.
Fort Lewis College
Recognized by Forbes as one of America’s Best Colleges, Fort Lewis College, located in Durango, CO, prepares students for the accounting field through their Accounting major program. Students study a wide range of courses including managerial economics, financial management, cost accounting, financial accounting, managerial accounting, and business statistics. The school is accredited by the AACSB, the highest accreditation available to business colleges. Approximately 4,000 students receive education at this culturally-diverse college.
Top Ranked Accounting Schools in Colorado
Businessweek Top Undergrad Accounting Programs
- University of Denver (Daniels) #9 (2012)
- Colorado State University #89
- University of Colorado – Boulder (Leeds) #97
Career Opportunities for Accounting Grads in Colorado
Accounting graduates can find work opportunities at major accounting firms in Colorado including Deloitte, Price Waterhouse Cooper, and KPMG. Top employers in the state include Lockheed Martin Space Systems, Western Union, and Century Link. Graduates can choose to open their own practice or become a self-employed consultant. Government positions are also an option and include positions at the state department, local municipalities, state hospitals, the IRS, and the Department of Defense.
Colorado Accounting Salary and Jobs by Metro Area
|Metro Area||Accountants & Auditors Employed||Average Annual Salary|
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics as of May 2011.
Colorado Schools with Accounting Degree Programs
Colorado State University (Fort Collins, CO)
Fort Collins, CO 80523
Metropolitan State University of Denver (Denver, CO)
890 Auraria Pkwy,
Denver, CO 80204
University of Denver’s Daniels School of Accountancy (Denver, CO)
2199 S University Blvd
Denver, CO 80210
Fort Lewis College (Durango, CO)
1000 Rim Dr
Durango, CO 81301
1. National Center for Education Statistics: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Businessweek Top Business School Rankings Undergraduate Business School Programs: https://www.bloomberg.com/businessweek/graphics/2013-bs-undergrad-rankings/rankings2.html
3. US News & World Report Best Graduate Business Schools: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings/